I have heard more horror stories about cowboy bathroom renovators then you could image. From lighting rooms on fire on the first day to tiles falling off the ceiling (yes the actual ceiling), it can be just plain scary but we are here to help you spot the dodgy renovator.
There are some tell-tale signs that can help you spot the difference between a handyman renovator and the real deal in the list below.
Be very careful about taking on a bathroom renovator who:
– 1. Offers very cheap quotes or estimates. – This could mean they are desperate for work, could be adding your job to one of many they are doing at once or are looking to add extra later on.
– 2. Is unwilling to put a quote or estimate in writing. – This could mean they don’t intend to stick to the price and can always say “your price didn’t include that”.
– 3. Is unwilling to offer references. A top renovator will always have ready and willing people to contact for a reference. They should give you at least 10 references. A good renovator will do at least 30 bathrooms a year and if they have done this for multiple years are you telling me they can’t give you at least 10 good jobs they have done?.
– 4. Are not qualified in waterproofing – Waterproofing is the most important part of your bathroom renovation. When this done incorrectly your bathroom will leak after you spend thousands and will take thousands to repair again. So its important you get a qualified company. We at on the ball bathrooms are members of the Australian Institute Of Waterproofing as well as each member of our team having a Certificate III In Construction Waterproofing.
– 5. Has never done the work him or her self. This job is all about experience and it’s almost impossible to understand the hard tasks involved in bathroom renovations unless you have physically done it your self. Its one thing to manage trades which is relying on strangers they employee to do the job hopefully correctly or a company like ours with the person who quotes your job works on your job.
-6. Is unwilling to offer you details about their business – For example an address or landline number. What are they hiding? Are they afraid you’re going to come after them once the jobs finished. Remember, it’s real easy to ignore mobile phone calls and change a mobile number. So its important to pick a company with a showroom so if you have issues you can go and discuss in person.
If you’re going to renovate your bathroom to a high standard, you’re going to pay at least around $12,000, which is a considerable amount of money. You have worked too hard for too long for your home, don’t you think it’s worth doing a bit of digging around to get the right people. Like any thing you buy you take risks but by doing all the research and asking your self the right questions you will cut the risk. I say this as someone who has worked in this business his whole life, there is so many companies that treat people horribly once they get their money as they know if they rip out your bathroom you have nowhere to go as you need it finished. The Australian standards that are acceptable for bathroom renovations is so low that a bathroom renovator get away murder with all the stories I hear from clients. The most important part is the after renovation care which is why references are so important. Six years are a long time to guarantee something so take that into consideration when picking a renovator, just ask yourself are they going to be around in that time and if they are just a sub contractor good chances are no.
Remember you only do this once so whether you settle or the lower price for the unknown or you pay that little bit extra to get the renovator who you know will do the best job it’s always important to ask questions! stupid or not the more you ask the less you will stress.
If you want a bathroom renovator who:
Gives fair quotes for quality work
Offers detailed and itemised quotes
Offers a long list of references and videos of the team
Only starts the job when you’re 100% ready and the “i”‘s are dotted and the “t”‘s crossed..
Guarantees a finish date
Is completely transparent about their business
Has a great, long-standing reputation
Is completely insured and qualified
Only asks you to pay when you’re 100% happy with every aspect of your new bathroom
Then make on the ball bathrooms the team you call for that bathroom renovation on 0419964678 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Even if it’s just for advice we truly always just want to help you get the best result in the most stressful of times.