In Perth Australia, a wet room is typically referred to as an open shower bathroom, where the bathroom becomes one giant shower effectively. Now, this may not be for everyone, but if the design is done right a wetroom can be extremely functional. Below we will focus on a wet room that contains either a bath or toilet in the open area of a shower. These types of renovations are technically quite difficult and take a lot of understanding plus experience to really nail it effectively.
Below is an example of a renovation we have completed that is your classic family bathroom converted into a wet room set up. The bathroom room instantly feels large and more functional.
You may think if you only have a small space that a wet room may not be feasible. Think again, creating a wet room can make the smaller bathroom appear much larger and small wet rooms are actually really functional. Big bulky shower screens often act as a wall that closes in a space, so in theory if you have less screen your room will feel larger.
From all the years of doing these types of bathroom renovation, especially in Perth, it’s important to note that everyone has a different tolerance for excess water. A few drips to some may be a deal-breaker, so this is the bathroom I am most cautious about. These bathrooms below are examples of how the wetroom renovation looks and functions.
- It has an open plan feel
- Allows for more efficient use of the space which is often more visually appealing
- No need to have a shower bath that often is installed instead.
- Wet rooms can make small bathrooms appear larger and we all know large bathrooms tend to look more luxurious
- Great for kids, elderly, wheelchair access needs etc as there is no recesses and shower trays or tracks to worry about step over
- A wet room design is generally a lot more ‘open plan’ so yes, splashes and steam can go everywhere
- Waterproofing is a lot more costly and labour intensive
- Drainage and tiling of the falls is crucial and something you want to be done by a professional a the top of his game
- There are some restrictions on where electrical can go i.e. power points / heated towel rails.
Please Take Into Consideration
- The fall on the floor is crucial to drainage and pooling. The gradients need to be spot on to ensure the fall is correct and the water is channelled from the shower and you have the ability to drain the entire room effectively.
- Sufficient ventilation is even more important in a wet room to ensure the bathroom is able to dry out. Ensure windows cross ventilate and have adequate extraction fans. Ensure the extraction vents moist air outside not in the roof space – otherwise, this will cause problems in your roof.
- Consider installing wall-hung fixtures (basin /toilet) to add to the spacious feel and free up the floor. Not only will this look more visually appealing but will make cleaning even easier.
- For the ultimate showering experience consider ceiling mounted shower fittings, along with multi-directional body jets fixed to the wall and if the wet room is large enough double his/her showers are ideal.
Wet rooms look amazing. They allow you to incorporate a bath and walk-in shower when possible. It’s for me the crucial part of the renovation the fact you don’t have to have a shower bath makes a huge difference. In Perth, we have a lot of the traditional bathroom that has a shower, vanity and bath below is an example of how you can maximise that space if you want to have a big walk-in shower and the traditional drop-in bath.
It’s important to note that all our advice is general in nature and all bathrooms are unique so always speak to your local qualified tradesman for the best advice. At on the ball bathrooms we love feedback so let us know what you think with a comment below or if you are looking for a bathroom renovation quote and live in Perth, Western Australia contact us on 0419964678 or email us at email@example.com
For More DIY TIPS For Renovating Your Bathroom Visit:
Before and After Albums: Click Here
High-resolution examples of all projects: Click Here
Start Pinning and Putting Your Dream Bathroom Together: Click Here
If you like the article and want to get all the latest updates or see all our before and after’s, then show us some love with a like on Instagram